Do you know where the main water shut-off valve is in your house or office? If you don’t know off the top of your head, then you need to locate it and remember where it is in case there is ever a major leak. Most people are unaware of where their main water shut-off valve is located and they end up with plumbing nightmares!
Where to Find the Main Water Shut-Off Valve:
- the shut-off valve is almost always near the perimeter of your home or office, so no need to check the central areas
- forget checking upstairs, main shut-off valves are located at ground level or in a basement for those with a basement
- water lines usually run straight from the water main to the shut-off valve, hence if you know where your water main is then you can find the shortest path to your home and that is where the shut-off will most likely be
- when you purchased your house or business an inspection report is supplied with the shut-off valve’s location labeled
- find a big panel at your home or office that isn’t the electrical panel, this contains the shut-off valve because it is illegal to cover it behind a wall
Fun Fact of the Month – If there’s a leaky faucet that drips twice per minute, it’ll lose over a gallon of water in one week!